Web readers are a finicky bunch. They have evolved short attention spans over the years (I blame MTV) and don’t sit still long enough to even get to the bottom of an online article. Given that it would seem counterintuitive that one of the best SEO tools at your disposal is still fresh, relevant blog content but it is. You just have to adjust the style of writing and type of blogs you post to your particular readership. To make this easier for you, I’ve rounded up 5 of the best types of blog posts for your local business blog.
- Lists (Like this one) provide quick-hit information in a readily scannable format. Even if your eyes bounce around the page you can still grab the gist of the piece without reading through to the end.
- Tutorials (How to, when to, or why to) These give your reader real value, practical things they can do to improve their lives, their business, their productivity, their backyards. From building patio furniture to finding the best types of blog posts for your website (See what I did there?) these blogs are also easily scannable, step-by-step walkthroughs from start to finish.
- Interviews Interviews are great. Interviews with experts are awesome. Interviews with local experts are intergalactic! Interviews are one of the best types of blog posts for your business blog because they too fall into a predictable question/answer format while providing real, usable information. However, they also provide an immediate boost to your website’s credibility because if someone took time out of their day to answer your questions you must matter-or so your readers will think.
- Videos and Photographs Some microblogging sites (Vine, Instagram) rely solely on posting videos and photographs. They can be powerful tools for your business blog as well (especially if they are interesting, unique, showcase your expertise, or have some entertainment value). However, you’ll want to create a good mix of multimedia and text blogs in order to present the best possible online façade.
- Newsjacked News Stories Newsjacking is the practice of taking a story (preferably from your local news outlets) and injecting your own particular slant on it. For instance: I newsjacked this blog post about new cell towers in Downeast Maine from WABI in order to show how increased mobile data coverage will result in increased local search on mobile devices and directly impact the effectiveness of business websites in Washington and Hancock County.
Finding the Best Types of Blog Posts for Your Local Business
These are just a few of the most common (and most effective blog posts) in use today. However, that doesn’t mean you have to use any of them. It’s up to you to build your blog (either organically over time or from the get-go with structured blueprints) and some types of blog posts will work better for you than others. Experiment with these and see which ones fit your business model, your blog’s format and style, and your consumer base. You can use social and analytic metrics to see which are the best types of blog posts for you and build on them to create a top-tier local industry leading website.
For more about the craft and art of writing blog posts for your business website, subscribe to this blog’s RSS feed. To learn how I can help with professional writing services in Maine and beyond, contact me today!