As your business matures and you ease into your role as owner, you’ll likely release the white-knuckle-grip you’ve had on the day-to-day operations that you’ve held since day one. You’ll learn over time that there are things you can delegate to other people and things you should delegate to other people. One of those things is content creation for your website and blog. In fact, most businesses of a certain size can (and possibly should) rely on a professional copywriter in Maine–like myself–for the lion’s share of the writing they require.
Why? Professional writers know how to write content that performs well with clients and search engines and they can do it relatively fast. This frees you and your employees up to do more important (and more profitable) activities like making more money and growing your business to its full potential.
If you’re thinking about hiring a copywriter in Maine there are a number of questions you should ask yourself.
Questions to Ask Yourself Before Hiring a Copywriter
- Can You Write the Content Yourself? If writing is one of your strong suits or you have plenty of free time to learn the ins and outs of writing online content, keyword research, and SEO best practices then by all means go for it. You have one huge advantage over any outside professional: you know your business like the back of your hand.
- Should You Write the Content Yourself? If you’re unsure of your skills with the written word (especially Search Engine Optimization) you might actually hurt your business by putting out sub-par content. Either bone up your skills or find a trusted copywriter in Maine to help you put out quality product.
- Does It Make Financial Sense to Write Content Yourself? First, find out how much profit your business makes in an hour. Next, get an accurate record of the time you spend writing for your business. Multiply one figure by the next and you end up with how much you actually spend writing copy. Next, shop around, get some estimates from professional writers for the type of content you need. Are their estimates at or below what you’re currently spending doing it yourself? If so, it might be time to hire a copywriter in Maine.
- Do I Trust This Person with My Business Reputation? The content you produce and publish is essentially one facet of the public face of your company. In many cases the content on your website is the first impression that many customers get. If you’re considering hiring a copywriter to take on content creation responsibilities for you, you should feel 100% secure that they will deliver content that meets your expectations, fits your brand, and delivers the right type of message to your customers. (Here are a few tips on how to hire a copywriter in Maine).
Finding a Copywriter in Maine
You’ve made the decision to step back from the front lines and oversee some of the day-to-day operations from the big comfy chair. Good for you! Unfortunately finding a copywriter in Maine can be a bit difficult–there aren’t too many of us around. Of course Google should be your first stop.
If you’re considering hiring a professional web writer who doesn’t appear in the search results you might want to rethink your decision.
Next, poke around their websites. You should look for:
- Samples Every copywriter should have real samples (not just on-spec pieces) on their website.
- Client Lists Get a feel for their work experience by seeing who they’ve written for in the past.
- Contact Info They should provide a name, an address, a telephone number, and an email address of online contact form.
- Testimonials If previous clients haven’t had anything good to say about the writer you’re about to hire that should be a big red flag.
- A Little History Learning about a writer’s background can tell you something about how they approach their job. Look for college degrees, work experience, family history, or even personal accomplishments like having their own writing published, awards, or industry accolades.
Hiring a Copywriter in Maine Doesn’t Have to Be a Headache
By doing a little bit of research and shopping around you can find a copywriter in Maine that will provide high-quality content to help you grow your business. Being smart about your decisions can prevent you from getting burned and help you have the best experience possible. If you would like to get a quote for an upcoming writing project contact me today!